It has been about 2 years since the pandemic hit and the year 2022 is drawing near, each of the countries is slowly adjusting to the huge change and is now finally starting to open up the boarders.
Let’s take a look at specifics for each country.
Japan is reopening the country to independent foreign travelers and they are re-introducing a visa-free entry. And starting from October 11, travelers will be allowed to enter Japan. They have been 100% closed to tourists for the last 2 years. The effect on their economy plus currency issues has caused them to make a change in this policy.
1. Negative result from a recognized Covid-19 test
2. Covid test should be taken within 72 hours prior to departure.
a) You are exempted to this rule if you’ve been vaccinated at least three times.
b) Children below the age of 18 who travel together with triple-vaccinated parents/guardians are also exempt from the test.
There are no restrictions on the activities of businesses and individuals in the country.
However, you are still expected to follow the usual precautions against covid such as wearing masks and sanitizing.
The on-arrival COVID-19 PCR test requirement was lifted on October 1, 2022. There are no requirements for travel now according to the US State Department.
What’s new for Korea is you have to get a tourist visa online before you board your flight. Previously you got a waiver in person in immigration.
Go here: https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do to register for your
On September 2022, the government removed hotel quarantine and replaced it with a “0+3” system, this means that arrivals undergo three days of medical surveillance at home or in a hotel. They are free to move about the city but are barred from visiting places such as restaurants and bars.
- Complete the online Health Declaration Form of the Department of Health prior to your arrival at Hong Kong.
If you are from overseas places or Taiwan. Listed below are the requirements:
- Conduct a Rapid Antigen Test.
- You need to have a negative result within 24 hours prior tothe scheduled time of departure of the flight to Hong Kong.
- Complete the online Health Declaration Form after they have obtained the negative RAT result.
After completing the requirements, the system will generate a green Health Declaration QR code. Please save the QR code.
The next thing that you need to do is to present the green Health Declaration QR code at check-in for verification by airlines for boarding. Please also show the QR code to the border control point staff upon arriving at Hong Kong.
For arrival via Hong Kong International Airport, the QR code is valid for 96 hours; for arrival via land control points, the QR code is valid for 24 hours.
Please note that you still need to maintain social distancing and avoid group gatherings in public places of more than four people. Wearing of masks is mandatory in most public places including public transport, except for country parks or while exercising.
China is basically a no go country right now. They have a zero Covid policy. This means they shut entire cities or regions down if they get one case of Covid reported.
- Mandatory 10 day quarantine for all foreign visitors.
- Various quarantine rules for domestic travel within China.
On 29 September, you’re no longer required to undergo a saliva PCR test on arrival, and the 3+4 arrival quarantine period can be undertaken in a private residence, provided it satisfies the criterion of “one person per room”.
As of October 13, all Covid restrictions will no longer be in force.
The US State Department has a “reconsider travel” advisory on Taiwan that is related to possible military actions from mainland China. This is impossible to predict, however something to be aware of. It would not stop us from going there but making long term investments or plans in Taiwan seems like not a good idea.
From 29 August 2022, Singapore welcomes all travelers to the country even if you are not fully vaccinated.
The country is now open to to tourists as you can now enjoy the quarantine-free travel to Singapore with just the basic Covid-19 measures in place such as
- Wearing of mask in healthcare settings, public transport, some flights, and ferries.
- Establishments with over 500 attendees and nightlife establishments are only open to fully vaccinated persons.
For fully vaccinated visitors
Singapore welcomes all fully vaccinated visitors. No entry approvals, pre-departure tests, on-arrival tests and quarantine required.
Requirements for fully vaccinated visitors:
- Provide a proof of vaccination
- Download the TraceTogether app and register
- Submit SG Arrival Card and e-health declaration through the official and free e-service on the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) website. This should be complied 3 days before your departure
Requirements for non-fully vaccinated visitors
- You need to have a travel insurance covering COVID-19, with at least $30,000 of medical coverage.
- Take a COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) or professionally-administered Antigen Rapid Test (ART). This should be done 2 days before your departure.s
Malaysia has reopened to international tourism. New entry requirements are in place. Check entry requirements on the ‘My Safe Travel’ website. These requirements may change at short notice. Monitor the websites of the Malaysian Department of Immigration, My Safe Travel and Malaysian Ministry of Health, and social media for any changes.
Malaysia has reopened to tourism. You can enter Malaysia regardless of your COVID-19 vaccination status. You’re not required to undertake quarantine or complete a pre-departure or on-arrival COVID-19 test.
If you contract COVID-19 while in Malaysia, you are required to complete 7 days home quarantine.
Monitor the websites of the Malaysian Department of Immigration, My Safe Travel and Malaysian Ministry of Health, and social media for any changes to entry requirements.
The Malaysian Government has eased its COVID-19 SOPs. Under the new SOPs, masks are mandatory indoors, including on public transport and e-hailing rides. Masks are optional when outdoors but are encouraged in crowded places. Penalties apply for breaches, including arrest.
Foreigners, including visitors and long-term foreign residents, have been arrested and charged for breaching restrictions, including failing to socially distance in public places or being present in a venue that is suspected of breaching these restrictions.
The Government of the Republic of Indonesia has re-opened Indonesia for international tourists.
You don’t need to present a negative proof of RT-PCR test or proof of health insurance.
Visa on arrival available for 90 days.
One exception: you must show proof of vaccination to enter Bali.
You can go if not vaccinated but you must show a letter documentation that you cannot get a vaccine for some health reason.
Travelling to Philippines is now permitted but you need to comply with the countries policies which generally include the following:
- Being fully vaccinated, except for minor children below age 12 traveling with fully vaccinated parents who can present acceptable proof of vaccination.
- Unvaccinated foreign nationals will not be allowed admission into the Philippines
- Foreign nationals who are fully vaccinated with at least one booster shot are no longer required to provide a negative RT-PCR test, provided they present proof of vaccination along with their valid passport.
- Foreign spouses and/or children of Filipino citizens and former Filipino citizens, including their foreign spouse and/or children who are unvaccinated, partially vaccinated and do not have boosters, are subject to quarantine upon arrival.
- You have the option to choose your quarantine facility. A list of quarantine facilities is available on the BOQ website.
- Complete a BOQ e-Health Declaration Card (e-HDC) . This includes children. You can register up to three days in advance of your departure for the Philippines through the BOQ’s One Health Pass webpage . Remember to save a copy of the transaction number and QR code, which will be required by Philippine immigration authorities.
Please note the following:
- Negative COVID-19 test (RT-PCR and/or serology) required for entry.
- There are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry.
All Vietnam destinations are now open, self-isolation is no longer required, and the medical declaration requirement for all international arrivals from April 27 as COVID-19 cases dropped nationwide. Medical declarations for domestic travel have also been suspended.
No PCR test or proof of vaccination required.
Public health measures (such as social distancing and mask-wearing) are in place, but vary between provinces and could change at short notice.
You are still required to get Visa on Arrival. You do this by completing the online application form and paying the processing fee. You will get an Approval Letter via email in 1-2 days, depending on the status of visa processing you have selected. You present this letter along with a passport photo upon arrival in Vietnam and you can enter.
Starting October 1, 2022 travelers entering Thailand are no longer required to show Proof of Vaccination or COVID-19 test result. All travelers can freely travel to Thailand.
Travel Insurance is still highly recommended when you travel to Thailand but not required.
Travelers can stay for 30 days or 45 days without prior approval of a Thai visa.
During this period, the length of stay per visit will be 45 days for passport holders of the following countries/territories who may enter Thailand under a tourist Visa Exemption scheme: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovak, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UAE, UK, Ukraine, and the USA.
It can be extended for another 30 days by going into immigration office. Other long term visas are available.
like the Thai Elite Visa.
No restrictions on entry.
No PCR test or proof of vaccination.
Visa on arrival, no previous requirements prior to travel.
You no longer need to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or tests to enter Cambodia.
Cambodia has recommenced the Visa-on-Arrival program. You can pay online in advance or upon entry.